to quickly complete your Certificate
per year so you can start when you’re ready
Medical Billing and Coding Program
By attending medical billing and coding school and earning your online certificate, you will prepare to be a confident professional in a variety of healthcare information roles. Thanks to online classes and virtual labs, you'll gain skills in coding systems and billing technology, information security and general healthcare knowledge. You can start here and seamlessly work toward your Associate’s and Bachelor’s degree with Rasmussen University. You can also access your online medical billing and coding classes anytime and anywhere, giving you the flexibility to balance work, life and college.
Starting your medical billing and coding certificate is easy with no application fee, eight start dates a year and no health information experience is required.
Take me to:
What Are My Options with a Medical Billing and Coding Certificate?
With a Medical Billing and Coding Certificate, you can prepare for quick entry into healthcare as you continue to advance your education in our Health Information Technician Associate’s degree program. With your Certificate, you can pursue roles such as:
- Medical biller and coder
- Patient services team member/navigator
- Patient registrar
Your career could take you into healthcare settings that include:
- Physician’s practices
- Insurance companies
- Billing companies
Most coding positions are not considered "entry level"; a combination of education and work experience is typically required to attain a coding position. Similarly, coders, especially those who are new to the field, should not expect to find a position where they can work from home. Most coding positions require onsite work.
Why Choose Rasmussen University?
Our online Medical Billing and Coding Certificate training can help set you up for success, no matter what your ultimate educational or career goals are.
- Balance work, life and college with flexible fully online medical billing and coding courses backed by 24/7 tech support
- Save time and money with transfer credits and $149 self-directed assessments that allow you to prove you have the skills taught in a particular course and don't need to take it
- Examine case studies, authentic coding scenarios, hands-on activities and projects for a first-hand look at industry technology
- Gain hands-on experience in AHIMA® virtual labs to test your skills and enhance decision-making abilities
- Collaborate with experienced faculty who want you to succeed in a supportive environment
Continue to Advance
Your Medical Billing and Coding Certificate is just the first step in your educational journey. The health information skills and knowledge you develop in your Certificate set you up to move seamlessly into our Health Information Technician Associate’s degree program—opening more career paths for you.
Our Medical Billing and Coding school will help prepare you to pursue the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Certified Coding Associate (CCA) Credential or, with industry experience, the AHIMA Certified Coding Specialist (CCS).3 The CCA credential has been the national standard of achievement in health information management for nearly 20 years, according to AHIMA®.4 Plus, the application fee is included in the total program costs.3
AHIMA® Virtual Labs
AHIMA® virtual labs give students access to multiple state-of-the-art health information software applications, such as 3M and Clintegrity.
- Simulation activities to enhance decision-making skills
- Access to hundreds of redacted patient records
- Interact with both service and specialty medical coding and billing records
"[My admissions advisor] was the person to convince me to give myself and Rasmussen a chance. I could never thank her enough for listening to me, encouraging me and always checking in on me."
Medical and Billing Coding Certificate and Health Information Technician Graduate
Certificate: Medical Billing and Coding
Start here if:
You’re just entering the field and looking for quick entry into a healthcare role. This is a great stepping stone toward your Associate’s degree and a future career in medical billing and coding.9
Finish in as few as:
Associate’s Degree: Health Information Technician
Start here if:
You’re ready to learn more about managing patient data, revenue cycle, and billing and coding. You're also interested in pursuing the RHIT® exam.8
Finish in as few as:
Bachelor’s Degree: Health Information Management
Start here if:
You have your Associate's degree in health information or in an another subject with your RHIT credential. You're interested in a higher leadership role and want to prepare for the RHIA® exam.7
Finish in as few as:
Master’s Degree: Choose Your Path
Master’s degree programs to consider:
Sample MBA job titles:
- Business analytics and intelligence
- Business and project management
- Client relations
- Financial management
- Government services
- Healthcare administration
- Human resources
Sample MHA job titles:
- Admissions coordinator or director
- Clinical director
- Health services manager
- Hospital administrator
- Long-term care administrator
- Medical services manager
- Practice manager
Online by Design
Rasmussen University courses are fully online and rich in interactive learning to give you more control and balance in your life.
Support to Make it Work
From 24/7 tech support, experienced tutors and career services to library and learning services with over 400,000 ebooks and electronic reference materials, we’re dedicated to a robust learning community.
In addition to health information studies, you’ll enhance your skills in critical thinking, digital fluency, information literacy, communication, diversity and teamwork, and ethics and professional responsibility.
Get Credit for What You Know
Credit for Prior Learning
Save time and money by taking advantage of what you already know with transfer credits, course waivers and more.
Get an estimate of your transfer credits without an official transcript in one business day (on average).
Fit the Rest into Your Life
Empower Your Schedule
You never need to step on campus and can study full- or part-time based on what is best for you.
100% online courses give you more control—over your schedule, your work space and your pace.
Do the Math:
With eight start dates a year and a total of 10 courses—full-time students can finish in as few as 9 months. You can save even more with transfer credits, loans, grants and more.
$269 cost per full-time credit
x 36 total credits
$9,684 total full-time tuition
+ $2,050 total fees
$11,734 full-time estimated total program cost
Other Ways to Save
Higher education should be a manageable investment. Talk to an admissions advisor and learn how our programs are designed to be more affordable with Knowledge Credit™ through transfer credits, self-directed assessments, and military training or professional certification. Plus, save more with loans and grants, scholarship opportunities, and military discounts for those who qualify. Find more about:
Entrance requirements for the School of Health Sciences vary by program. This program is not available to residents of all states. To learn more and receive help planning your healthcare career path, contact an admissions advisor who will speak to you about: background checks and entrance requirements.
- Estimated total program cost for a full-time student with no transfer of credit.
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- The first attempt of the CCS exam may be included in lieu of the CCA if you can demonstrate a minimum of two years’ coding experience directly applying codes. The application fee for each qualified student’s first attempt at the CCA or CCS exam is included in the total program costs. Should you need to take the exam more than once to receive a passing score, you will be responsible for all subsequent exam application fees.
- AHIMA, “Health Information 101”. https://www.ahima.org/certification-careers/certifications-overview/career-tools/career-pages/health-information-101/. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed October 6, 2021] www.bls.gov/ooh/. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- AHIMA® Virtual Labs are a registered trademark of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). © 2020 AHIMA. All rights reserved.
- The Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA®) Exam is a registered trademark of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Copyright © 2020 AHIMA. All rights reserved.
- The Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT®) Exam is a registered trademark of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Copyright © 2020 AHIMA. All rights reserved.
- Most coding positions are not considered "entry level"; a combination of education and work experience is typically required to attain a coding position. Similarly, coders, especially those who are new to the field, should not expect to find a position where they can work from home. Most coding positions require onsite work.
- National Online currently includes all U.S. states.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed October 6, 2021] www.bls.gov/oes/. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed October 6, 2021] www.bls.gov/ooh/. BLS salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.